Lemon Lentil Soup
This is a hearty soup that I like to serve with cornbread and a whole grain like rice or quinoa. You can sub squash for tomatoes to make this elimination diet friendly. This is a vegan and gluten free dish that is great for the immune system.
2T coconut oil
3 medium leeks, chopped (white and pale parts only)
1/2 med onion, chopped
8 cups vegetable stock
10 garlic cloves, minced
2T fresh grated ginger
1 tsp salt
20 oz can of whole tomatoes
2 cups of green lentils
1 med lemon, sliced
Garnish: cilantro, parsley, or green onions
1. Soak the lentils in water overnight.
2. Heat the coconut oil in a soup pan on a medium heat
3. Add leeks, onion, garlic, and ginger and cook for 5 minutes
4. Add cumin and salt and cook until fragrant
5. Add can of tomatoes, 6 slices of lemon, stock, and lentils, bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes
6. Let cool for about an hour, then remove lemon rinds and discard
7. Transfer contents into a high power blender and blend on low for 30 seconds, transfer back to the pan and cook on low for 5 minutes.
8. Serve hot with a slice of fresh lemon and garnish